Thursday, November 20, 2008

Salzburg, the home of the Mozart chocolate




















I loved the Yoho hostel in Salzburg. Because they let me throw toilet paper in the toilet.


Before I get to Salzburg, here's the current life update on me: I am currently at home in Northern California for a day before I hop on my plane to New York City. I had to come home to leave my car with my parents, and leave all the stuff that's been in the trunk of my car for the last two weeks since I moved out of my old apartment in LA. I am finding myself gloriously productive this evening, in terms of accomplishing the two things that have been on my to-do list for weeks....adding to this blog (I'm what, a month and a half behind?) and putting pictures on facebook. For whatever reason those two things are not things that I am ever interested in doing, even though I've had tons of free time in the past few weeks. But maybe now with the threat of no internet in my NY apartment looming, I'm feeling that things must get accomplished. In New York, I am going to be staying in the Astoria condo of a wonderfully generous friend, but since she doesn't actually live there, there's no wireless. I am praying they'll be an unlocked network nearby...we'll see. I am incredibly nervous and excited about being in New York until the end of the year, living by myself for the first time ever, and working on Minsky's. It's almost time to take the plunge...


----

So, on October 4, Michael, Kristen and I spent about 24 hours in Salzburg. There were two amazing things about Salzburg. The first amazing thing was meeting our friend Rob, who was our roommate the first night in the Yoho hostel. Rob is in the Navy, and was traveling by himself in Eastern Europe for about 10 days. He was one of the first Americans we'd met, originally from Fresno, and we all immediately hit it off. So Rob stuck with us on and off throughout the rest of the trip. Aside from Rob being the coolest dude ever, he's also a fantastic photographer, and I really appreciate all of the pictures he took, since as you know I'm not the best with photography. Oh, and Rob is also a constant supply of Mozart chocolates, which are hazelnutty goodness. So Rob is awesome.

The second amazing thing about Salzburg was the group we assembled in the Mirabell gardens to reenact the Do Re Mi scene from the Sound of Music. Really, my whole reason for wanting to visit Salzburg in the first place was to go on the Sound of Music tour. And it was amazing, especially our fantastically flamboyant tour guide, Peter. But it was a really rainy day, and so the beauty of Salzburg didn't have its full impact I think. What was amazing was what happened after the tour. We were in the Mirabell gardens, which is where Do Re Mi was filmed, and Michael decided it would be a great idea to reenvision the scene. We elected him as Maria, but realized that we would need a larger entourage if we were truly to embody the energy of the scene. So we asked two girls who had been taking our pictures if they wanted to join us in creating a video. They agreed to run and skip with us, even though they had their huge backpacks on their backs. Then, we cornered a Malaysian couple and asked them to join in the fun. I love how people are more willing to do something completely bizarre when they're in a foreign country. So Rob took the camera and we all lined up in the archway of greenery, prepared to skip our way towards the fountain. Michael was the designated leader.

Well, things went somewhat awry when Michael decided that Maria should suffer from back pain in the middle of our presentation. I tried to take over as Maria...

Anyway, to witness the glory, you can see our video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaRnITDhGjs

Enjoy.

No comments: