I call the last year of my life my year of "assisting dangerously," a phrase that I borrow lovingly from one of my mentors. You could also call it my personal grad school if you like. I've spent the year getting coffee and lunches, observing rehearsals and taking notes for a variety of different plays. In the meantime I've worked at two different restaurants and repeatedly dodged taking a full time job. And through it all, I've managed to save a small chunk of money. Thanks Mom and Dad :).
The excuse for this trip is that my brother is studying abroad in Padua, and I want to visit him. But really, this whole thing has blossomed into an opportunity to see the world, spend all of the money I have to my name, and learn more about myself as a human being (yes, this is the twenty-something "finding myself" trip- me and my travel partner Kristen both admit it!) This trip also marks the beginning of what seems like it will be a fairly prolonged nomadic stage in my life. I have lots of ideas of things I want to do with my career in the next few years, and a few leads that may or may not pan out. But either way, it looks like I'll be living in Los Angeles, New York, and elsewhere in spurts of time over the coming years. So this trip is an opportunity to learn how to live out of a backpack, how to eat and sleep for cheap, and how to go where the road takes me. All important lessons for life and for a career. And for that reason, I'm writing the whole thing off.
PS- Don't show this to the IRS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
What an enviable adventure you are embarking on. Eastern Europe's collective day is sure to be brightened these next couple months. Have nothing but the best time. And should you happen to eat any melon, think of me.
You're amazing. Can't wait.
Elissa! I am so excited for you. I wish I was going with!! Sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned. Eat well, drink well and take lots of pictures!! ~Laurie Keith
I am very proud of you. Travel is soooo important for perspective. You will always remember this experience and be SO happy you did it no matter the challenges.
Now that I am officially out of my 20s, I have to say that leading a somewhat nomadic life at times was the best part, by far, of the decade. I hope that this adventure is the first of many for you, and that it's all you're hoping for. Be careful couchsurfing and have the best time ever!
Post a Comment