Sing Yi, Kristen, and I holding the flowers some French Moroccan boys bought us on Bar St. in Kusadasi, Turkey.
So, by the time we left Turkey, we were happy to go. Yes, it's a beautiful country, but Kristen and I had gotten a little tired of the men in carpet stores calling to us "Hello! I am here! You are looking for me?" and "You are my sunshine....my only sunshine..." Last Friday night we hopped on a bus from Istanbul to Kusadasi, the Turkish port town from which we could make our way to the Greek Islands. Kristen and I brought along two of our girlfriends we had met in the hostel in Istanbul who were also eager to go to the Islands and get out of Turkey. One of the girls, Sing Yi, is an Aussie with a Malaysian passport, and has been traveling in the Shengan countries for almost 6 months. (I didn't know what Shengan was either- it's the European continent, and apparently if you don't have a visa, you're not allowed to travel for more than 3 consecutive months. ) Anyway, Sing Yi was worried that they wouldn't let her on the boat to Samos, the closest Greek Island.
Sure enough, when we arrived at the port on Sunday morning, this awful Turkish woman in the passport control started barking at the top of her lungs at Sing Yi like she was a terrorist. While she was barking, this Turkish man in plain clothes stepped in and started barking back, and then stepped outside to make a phone call on Sing Yi's behalf, probably to the Greek mafia or something. Our boat was supposed to leave in five minutes, and the woman would still not let her through. So Kristen, Janell (the other girl, from LA- actually she lives at Sunset and Detroit, how weird huh?), and I made our way onto the boat without Sing Yi. We sat dejected on the deck of the ferry, which strangely wasn't leaving, but still no Sing Yi in sight.
AND THEN, in a blaze of glory, Sing Yi emerged around the corner of the dock with the Turkish mafia man by her side, and strutted towards us with the sun glistening behind her. I was so excited to see her that I ran down onto the dock and started jumping up and down and leaping all around. Everyone on the boat thought I was crazy, but I have to say it was a glorious moment.
On Samos, where we only stayed for a couple of hours until our ferry to Mykonos came, we met a Kiwi named Dan who took us to a delicious place for lunch (the best food we had had on the trip yet) and sat on a beautiful beach. Dan was a trip, and told Kristen and I that he's going to America in November. So he has invited himself to stay with me for a night on November 2 in LA, which is funny considering that I might not even have a home in LA by then. Hmmm....we shall see. We travel by the seat of our pants.
By Sunday night we were on Mykonos, in a room on the north side of the Island. Kristen and I were only planning to stay on Mykonos for a few days and then island hop and wind up in Athens on Wednesday, but we wound up staying on Mykonos until Friday morning. The stories for why this occurred are very good....and I'm gonna leave you in suspense for now, dear readers.
But suffice it to say that we came to Athens last night, it looks like we're going to spend a rainy day walking around the city here, and then we'll be making our way up into the Balkans.
Tell me how much you want to hear about Mykonos, and maybe I'll tell you :)
Sure enough, when we arrived at the port on Sunday morning, this awful Turkish woman in the passport control started barking at the top of her lungs at Sing Yi like she was a terrorist. While she was barking, this Turkish man in plain clothes stepped in and started barking back, and then stepped outside to make a phone call on Sing Yi's behalf, probably to the Greek mafia or something. Our boat was supposed to leave in five minutes, and the woman would still not let her through. So Kristen, Janell (the other girl, from LA- actually she lives at Sunset and Detroit, how weird huh?), and I made our way onto the boat without Sing Yi. We sat dejected on the deck of the ferry, which strangely wasn't leaving, but still no Sing Yi in sight.
AND THEN, in a blaze of glory, Sing Yi emerged around the corner of the dock with the Turkish mafia man by her side, and strutted towards us with the sun glistening behind her. I was so excited to see her that I ran down onto the dock and started jumping up and down and leaping all around. Everyone on the boat thought I was crazy, but I have to say it was a glorious moment.
On Samos, where we only stayed for a couple of hours until our ferry to Mykonos came, we met a Kiwi named Dan who took us to a delicious place for lunch (the best food we had had on the trip yet) and sat on a beautiful beach. Dan was a trip, and told Kristen and I that he's going to America in November. So he has invited himself to stay with me for a night on November 2 in LA, which is funny considering that I might not even have a home in LA by then. Hmmm....we shall see. We travel by the seat of our pants.
By Sunday night we were on Mykonos, in a room on the north side of the Island. Kristen and I were only planning to stay on Mykonos for a few days and then island hop and wind up in Athens on Wednesday, but we wound up staying on Mykonos until Friday morning. The stories for why this occurred are very good....and I'm gonna leave you in suspense for now, dear readers.
But suffice it to say that we came to Athens last night, it looks like we're going to spend a rainy day walking around the city here, and then we'll be making our way up into the Balkans.
Tell me how much you want to hear about Mykonos, and maybe I'll tell you :)

3 comments:
you tease. i haven't heard anything from you except these blogs and tidbits for mom and then you withhold stories...not cool sis. i am trying to live vicariously through you to distract from my massive amounts of schoolwork!!!!!
umm... so, now I'm expecting a thank you email for your 'going away present'. I want details and if that sexy kiwi needs a place to stay... my bed is always available!
Love you!!
-e
i wanna hear about mykonos!
Post a Comment